My last post mentioned oxidative stress as a component of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Antioxidants deal with oxidative stress. Research into fenugreek, a traditional food used in Ayuvedic medicine, has shown it to be a powerful antioxidant. I haven't found specific research about its use for treating CRPS but suspect that its efficacy may hold promise. I am not recommending adding it to your diet. As with many things fenugreek consumption may have side effects including changing the effect of medication so seek medical advice.
Georgia Health Sciences University's Dr Bobby Thomas and colleagues reported that a powerful class of antioxidants may be a potent treatment for Parkinson's Disease. "A class of antioxidants called synthetic triterpenoids blocked
development of Parkinson’s in an animal model that develops the disease
in a handful of days". They used "the drugs to bolster Nrf2, a natural antioxidant and inflammation fighter." "They are now looking at the impact of synthetic triterpenoids in an
animal model genetically programmed to acquire the disease more slowly,
as humans do."
Shang Mingying;Tezuka Y;Cai Shaoqing, et al. (Department of
Pharmacognosy, Beijing University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100083) reported on Studies on Triterpenoids from Common Fenugreek(Trigonella foenum-graecum). Seven triterpenoids were isolated for the first time from the ethanol extract of seed of common fenugreek.
Fenugreek shows antioxidant and anti-inflammatory potential according to US and Arabic researchers.
The Journal of Food Biochemestry reported on this study showing the antioxidant effect of fenugreek.
Medical News Now with more about fenugreek from University of Queensland School of Medicine.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D